living at its finest, with its white picket fences, stately Colonials, and tree-lined streets. This relaxed and close-knit community offers respite from the hustle and bustle of New York City and the surrounding areas.
Originally founded as a parish, this affluent suburb in Fairfield County has blossomed into one of the most desirable places to live in the Land of Steady Habits.
Located in Southwest Connecticut along the Fivemile River, the community has a population of 19,738 (as of the 2010 census) and spans just 22.1 square miles.
- Founded in 1731 as Canaan Parish, the town incorporated in 1801. It was a predominantly agricultural community before the local shoe-making industry prospered during and after the Revolutionary War.
- It became a popular summer destination for the East Coast elite, who built vacation homes in the area in the late 1800s.
- It emerged as an architectural destination in the 1940s, when the Harvard 5, a group of Harvard of School Design alumni who acquired swaths of land and started experimenting with the Bauhaus aesthetic.
- Today, it’s an established, well-heeled neighborhood that has retained its pastoral character.
Real estate in New Canaan, CT
New Canaan real estate consists primarily of single-family homes on oversized lots. Prevalent architectural styles include Ranch, Colonial, and Cape Cod. Most homes have gleaming hardwood floors, high ceilings, and plenty of outdoor space.
Some of the most distinctive properties in the community were designed by the Harvard 5 and other renowned architects, bearing the signature Bauhaus and Modern design elements.
Notable neighborhoods include:
- Pinney’s Corners – Selleck’s Corners
- New Canaan Center
Got questions about New Canaan real estate? Don’t hesitate to contact me, Julia Broder, for more information.As a top Realtor and Westport native, I can give you access to New Canaan’s most exclusive listings.
Living in New Canaan, CT
The coveted New Canaan lifestyle evokes the kind of casual elegance and refinement commonly associated with affluent areas on the East Coast. Despite the massive luxury properties that can be seen all over town, the locals are friendly, down-to-earth, and are very welcoming of newcomers.
The community offers a peaceful environment to workers who commute to and from New York City on a near-daily basis. Not that they need to go far from home for work and career advancement – major employers like New Canaan Public Schools, Starbucks, and CVS Health offer wonderful opportunities.
- World-class recreational facilities like Waveny Pool and Kiwanis Park keep residents occupied and active year-round.
- The town’s vibrant Main Street is lined with locally owned shops and major retailers.
- It’s also a pet-friendly community, with off-leash dog parks like Spencer’s Run at Waveny.
If you think New Canaan should be your new home, get in touch with me, Julia Broder, here. You can also reach me at 203.247.7500 and Julia(dotted)Broder(at)CBMoves(dotted)com. As a local expert who specializes in luxury real estate, my job is to provide access to the finest listings in New Canaan and the surrounding communities.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.